Dr. John has been the go-to pediatrician in his community for 15 years. Business is so good that no one within a 10-mile radius would dream of bringing their kids to anyone else. There’s just one problem: the “busy work” behind the scenes — sitting on hold with insurance companies, chasing down unpaid bills, deciphering confusing systems, etc. — is monopolizing his hectic schedule. He wants to outsource his medical billing department but wonders if that’s the right answer.
The short answer is “yes!” In today’s world, running a medical practice is becoming extremely complex as more and more doctors find themselves juggling in-house billing (which gets them paid for their services) with taking care of their patients. And more often than not, it’s the doctor, his/her staff, and the patients who usually lose out in that never-ending tug-of-war.
If you are spending too much time worrying about back-office work and constantly leaving money on the table that should be in your pocket, outsourcing your medical billing department is absolutely something you should consider.
Still on the fence? Here are five reasons why!
- More time to focus on patients —This is the No. 1 reason every time, right!? As a doctor, your job is to listen, take your time to understand a patient’s symptoms or situation, and then provide solutions and treatment that get them back to feeling like themselves again. How are you supposed to do that when you’re constantly consumed by administrative tasks like authorizations and eligibility checks? Outsourcing your medical billing department means putting it in the capable hands of someone whose only job each day is to handle all of that heavy lifting for you.
- Reduce operational expenses —Maybe there was a time when doctor’s offices could handle medical billing on their own and hire and train people for those roles. But labor costs get expensive over time, especially when you factor in turnover and having to train someone new every few months or years. On top of that, the increasing complexity of the healthcare billing system demands experienced personnel who are certified medical coders. Outsourcing your medical billing puts those people at your fingertips without worrying about hiring and training new employees.
- Improved accuracy — Accuracy is the name of the game, as errors on the backend keep you from getting paid and create unnecessary heartache for your patients. By outsourcing your medical billing department, you get specialized coders and practice management experts whose job is to significantly decrease internal billing errors.
- Your staff is more focused on what they’re meant to do — With any doctor’s office, the staff is constantly being pulled in several directions — often assuming roles that aren’t necessarily in their job description. This includes medical billing duties. At the end of the day, you want your entire staff to be patient-centered and available when patient needs arise.
- Gain transparency — By outsourcing your medical billing department, you gain a level of financial transparency that few doctor’s offices can say they have. You deserve a medical billing partner who can adapt to the unique needs of your practice rather than offer cookie-cutter solutions that don’t work. Monthly reporting tools are no exception and can be customized to meet your reporting needs.
You Shouldn’t Have to Go in Circles With Your Medical Billing
Getting paid for the services you provide is paramount to the long-term success of your medical practice. But you also need to deliver superior services to your patients, and you can’t do that when you’re stuck in an endless loop of chasing down unpaid bills, deciphering uncomfortable and confusing systems, and sitting on hold with insurance companies. This can leave you in a position where you constantly leave money on the table, and the patient experience suffers immensely.
Medical billing should be smooth, efficient, and something you don’t have to tackle alone. TAT Billing Services is an extension of your practice. We have spent over two decades helping doctor’s offices near and far get paid. We understand the value this service brings to you and your patients — all that’s left is to give us a call.